Skip to main content

“I Will Survive,” the Coronavirus Version for Teachers Going Online

If you're an academic sprinting to put your course online, this video will make you feel better for a solid two minutes and 44 seconds.

Above we present, "I Will Survive," the Coronavirus version for teachers going online, with lyrics adapted by Michael Bruening, historian at Missouri State.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never teach through Canvas all the time

But then I spent so many nights reading the help docs for so long

And I grew strong

And I learned how to get along

And so I’m back

Students are gone

As all my colleagues try to figure out how they’re gonna get along

I should have kept up with the tech, not skipped that class on course design

If I’d known for just one second I’d be teaching all-online

Go on now, go, leave me alone

I’ve got to figure out

Just how to lecture using Panopto

You gave me two days to adjust, to move everything online

Did you think I'd crumble

Did you think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I, I will survive

Oh, as long as I know how to Zoom, I know I'll be alive

Oh, my students still will learn

And my paychecks I will earn, and I'll survive

I will survive, hey, hey

It took all the strength I had not to lay down and die

Kept trying hard to mend the pieces of my syllabi

And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself

I used to cry

But now I hold my head up high and you’ll see me

Teaching on zoom

But just don’t cough into the mic or every eye will be on you

I can’t hear you, you’re on mute, your camera’s black, are you still there?

We’ve got some glitches to work out, but I know my grading scheme is fair

Oh now, go, walk out the door

Trying to get this lecture done

And I’m already on take four

Now the network has gone down, and I’m all out of wine

Do you think I’ll crumble

Do you think I’ll lay down and die?

Oh no, not I, I will survive

Oh, as long as I know how to zoom, I know I’ll be alive

My students still will learn

And my paychecks I will earn and I’ll survive

I will survive

Hey hey

“I Will Survive,” the Coronavirus Version for Teachers Going Online is a post from: Open Culture. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus, or get our Daily Email. And don't miss our big collections of Free Online Courses, Free Online Movies, Free eBooks, Free Audio Books, Free Foreign Language Lessons, and MOOCs.



from Open Culture https://ift.tt/2w8lSUc
via Ilumina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Voltaire Meant When He Said That “We Must Cultivate Our Garden”: An Animated Introduction

“Voltaire’s goal in writing [his 1759 satire Candide ] was to destroy the optimism of his times,” says Alain de Botton in the School of Life video above, “an optimism that centered around science, love, technical progress, and a faith in reason.” These beliefs were folly, Voltaire thought: the transfer of faith from a providential God to a perfect, clockwork universe. Candide satirizes this happy rationalism in Doctor Pangloss, whose belief that ours is the best of possible worlds comes directly from the philosophical optimism of Gottfried Leibniz . The preponderance of the evidence, Voltaire made abundantly clear in the novel’s series of increasingly horrific episodes, points toward a blind, indifferent universe full of needless cruelty and chaos. “Hope was, he felt, a disease,” de Botton says, and “it was Voltaire’s generous goal to try and cure us of it.” But as everyone who has read Candide (or read a summary or brief notes on Candide ) knows, the novel does not end with ...

When Albert Einstein & Charlie Chaplin Met and Became Fast Famous Friends (1930)

Photo via Wikimedia Commons “You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother,” goes a well-known quote attributed variously to Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, and Ernest Rutherford. No matter who said it, “the sentiment… rings true,” writes Michelle Lavery , “for researchers in all disciplines from particle physics to ecopsychology.” As Feynman discovered during his many years of teaching , it could be “the motto of all professional communicators,” The Guardian ’s Russell Grossman writes , “and especially those who earn a living communicating the tricky business of science.” Einstein became one of the world’s great science communicators by choice, not necessity, and found ways to explain his complex theories to children and the elderly alike. But perhaps, if he’d had his way, he would rather have avoided words altogether, and preferred acrobatic feats of silent daring to get his message across. We might at least conclude so from his reverence f...

An Interactive Map of Odysseus’ 10-Year Journey in Homer’s Odyssey

The Odyssey , one of Homer's two great epics, narrates Odysseus' long, strange trip home after the Trojan war . During their ten-year journey, Odysseus and his men had to overcome divine and natural forces, from battering storms and winds to difficult encounters with the Cyclops Polyphemus, the cannibalistic Laestrygones, the witch-goddess Circe and the rest. And they took a most circuitous route, bouncing all over the Mediterranean, moving first down to Crete and Tunisia. Next over to Sicily, then off toward Spain, and back to Greece again. If you're looking for an easy way to visualize all of the twists and turns in  The Odyssey , then we'd recommend spending some time with the  interactive map created by Gisèle Mounzer .  "Odysseus' Journey"  breaks down Odysseus' voyage into 14 key scenes and locates them on a modern map designed by Esri, a company that creates GIS mapping software. Meanwhile, if you're interested in the whole concept of ...